It had to happen eventually. Since this week marks the one year anniversary since I finished writing my thesis, I'd say it's about time.
I've had fun dreaming up lots of things to think and write about through this blog. But it's time to be disciplined, to spend my thinking and writing time on fulling a bigger dream: writing a book.
I am suspending this blog until I have a complete book manuscript -- based on my thesis On Earth As It Is In Heaven: Place, Shalom, and the Creation on the World -- and submitted proposals.
There's a lot cooking in my mind, and a lot of mini to medium projects I'll have to put on hold:
- I've thought a great deal about what the cross offers to America in the 2010s, in this Malthusian age of Trump. I believe we need an atonement theology that speaks to the unhealed wounds, historical trauma, and invisible bondage enslaving America -- particularly white America. I believe liberation is available through the cross of Jesus Christ for our particular maladies.
- I'd begun an in-depth study of Neoliberalism, it's relationship to contemporary injustices (immigration, inequality, mass incarceration, etc.), and an analysis of it's expression under the new administration.
- I hope to tell the story of how my whiteness kept me out of jail or worse.
- I'd like to look more deeply at fear, the prevailing cathartic politics, and where freedom from this cycle might lie.
- It's time also to get deeper into debate around concrete strategies for changing the economic system and overcoming poverty.
These and many others lie down the road on this blog, but for the next several months, I'm going quite. Say a prayer for me, and I'll do the same for you.